Victoria West : St John’s Anglican Church
Driving around in Victoria West on a Sunday morning we saw a small rectangular church in Church Street. It looked as if the church was not in use anymore. The building and garden looked neglected and there were no people. (It was Sunday morning and we expected people coming to church services.) We stopped a to take a look.
We admired the outside from across the street and then saw the name board with “Architect – Sophia Gray”. The first Anglican services in Victoria West were held in 1862 and the foundation stone for the church was laid on 27 December 1869. Building work was not completed during the huge flood in 1871 and the church was mostly undamaged. Building work continued and the church was completed in 1874.
Walking closer we saw that the gate was unlocked and we went inside for a closer look. The church door was locked. We walked around to the back through long grass and dead flower plants in pots. Some of the windows were broken.
We were very curious to know if the church is still in use. Husband suggested that we try to look inside through one of the broken windows but they were too high. We went to knock at the house next to the church but no answer. We left the church feeling glad that we saw another Sophy Church but disappointed that we could yet again not see the inside.
|Front of Church|
|Back of Church|