4. Käfigturm or Prison Gate
The original tower was built as a gate house during the second expansion of Bern in 1256. It was demolished in 1640 a rebuilt in 1641. In 1405 the town’s prison was moved to the tower. In 1897 the prisoners were moved and the tower changed to an archive and court and now it is used as a meeting place for people interested in politics.
|Anna Seiler brunnen|