After an interesting visit to the Observatory Museum we drove to Gunfire Hill to see Fort Selwyn. The hill got its name because the Royal Artillery used to fire a gun each morning at 9 o’ clock until 1870.
In 1835 Governor D Urban ordered that barracks must be built on the Drosdy Grounds in Grahamstown for the large garrison. Fort Selwyn was built in 1836 to protect the town and its water supply. The Royal Artillery from 1836 until 1662 occupied the fort.