Fort Frederick, the stone fort in Port Elizabeth, was built in 1799. It overlooks Algoa Bay and the mouth of the Baakens River. It was built by troops to protect the bay against a possible landing of the French troops coming to assist the “rebels” in Graaff-Reinet who wanted independence from the Cape. It was named after Frederick, Duke of York and the Commander-in-Chief of the British Army.Inside the fort are a powder magazine and a blockhouse, which lost its timber upper storey. When we visited there were homeless people sleeping inside the fort. The blockhouse was used as a bathroom and had an awful smell. We only went to the entrance and did not enter the blockhouse.
The fort also has a collection of muzzle-loaders dating from the later part of the 18th century. The fort was manned until 1862 and until today no shots were fired in anger from this fort.