03 October 2012

Grahamstown : Gunfire Hill

We had a very busy day in Grahamstown.  We started the day by visiting the Cathedral.  Then we visited a few Museums: The History Museum, National English Literature Museum and Observatory Museum.  We then drove to Gunfire Hill where we saw Fort Selwyn.

While searching for the Settler Monument we passed the Astronomical Toposcope.  The marks shown by the stones this toposcope includes: the four point on a compass; sunrise and sunset at spring and autumn equinoxes; and sunset at summer and winter solstices.
We then found the Settlers monument.  It was at the other side of the parking.  The monument commemorates the 1820 Settlers who settled the Eastern Frontier of the Cape Colony.






















On out way down from Gunfire Hill we pasted the Old Provost Prison.  The prison was designed in 1835 by the Royal Engineers.  The cells are arranged in a semicircle and has a guard-house overlooking the cells.  It is part of the Albany Museum Complex but is only open by appointment.  We did not make an appointment and had to settle for pictures of the outside.  The building was declared a National Monument on 9 September 1937.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...