20 November 2012

Somerset East : Paulet Street

After our stops at the Dutch Reformed Church and Delville Wood Memorial we drove to the Tourism office to get a bit more information about the town.  The tourism office is housed in the Walter Battiss Art Gallery in 45 Paulet Street.  The building was built in 1818 and was used as an Officer’s Mess for the British troops.  It is a National Monument.

We got a very handy booklet about the historical buildings in the town.  Many of these buildings can be found in Paulet Street.  This street was named after Lord Charles Somerset’s second wife, Lady Mary Paulet.
Hope Church
Hope Church Parsonage



















Opposite the Tourism office is The Hope Congregational Church.  The parsonage and ground where the church was built was received from Dorothy Evans. She left her house and yard to the London Missionary Society.  In 1844 a church was built on this property for the Coloured, Dutch-speaking Congregation. The London Missionary Society later became part of the Congregational Church. 
60 Paulet Street
The historic dwelling house at 60 Paulet Street was built between 1825 and 1830. It  was declared a National Monument in 1983.
Bellevue Seminary
The church acquired the land to build a Seminary for girls in 1881. The building was designed by Carl Otto Hager.
The carriage way at 69 Paulet Street
Little Mill
It is believed that the Little Mill is one of the original buildings from the Somerset Farm.  It is being renovated and the town is attempting to declare it a national Monument.

Old Hofmeyr School
107 Paulet Street, Mill House
The house at 107 Paulet Street is one of the oldest in the town and was declared a National Monument in 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...