The Shaw Hall in Grahamstown was erected in 1831. It was inaugurated in 1832 as a Methodist Church. After the Commemoration Church was completed in 1850 the Shaw Hall was used as meeting hall. The hall was named after Reverend William Shaw, the founder of the Methodist Church in South Africa. It was declared a National Monument on 27 December 1985.
On 28 April 1864 Shaw Hall was used for the opening of parliament. It was the only time that the Cape Parliament ever sat outside of Cape Town.
|Painting in the History Museum of the |
opening of parliament in 1864 at the Shaw Hall