After visiting the Library we crossed the street to reach Market Square. It was a bit of a disappointment as this square is used as parking space for cars. A sign on the paving in the square shows that is was declared a National Heritage Site in 1974.
Market Square used to be central point for buying and selling of goods and was also used as a social gathering place for locals. In the square there is a replica of the cross that Bartholomew Dias placed along the coast of Africa on his journey in 1488.