Day 9 – The Münster of St. Vincent in Bern
One of the stops on our walking tour of Bern was the Cathedral of St Vincent. (You can read more about the walking tour part 1, part 2 and part 3)
We arrived in Münsterplatz about 14:00 on 13 June 2011. The outside of the gothic cathedral was very impressive but unfortunately they were busy with work on the tower and it was covered with scaffolding. Construction of the cathedral began on 11 March 1421 and the Bell tower (the highest is Switzerland) was added in 1893.
The cathedral has three portals. The Last Judgement in the center portal was amazing. (We returned on 14 June to have a second look) Some of the statues are copies of the originals. We saw the originals at the Bern History Museum.
We went inside the cathedral. The cathedral has lacy ceiling vaults, a long nave and two side aisles.
The cathedral has amazing stained glass windows with bible scenes. Some windows date from 1441 but some was replaced after damage. An interesting window was the Dance of Death window.
|Stained glass windows|
|Dance of Death window|