The Château was built between 1397 and 1406 on bishop's orders to serve as their residence. Currently is is used as the seat of the cantonal goverment of Vaud.
Against the Château building is a statue of Major Davel. He was a rebel who in 1723 called for the end to Bernese domination and to become the 14th canton of Switzerland. Unfortunately he was captured and executed.
Then we walked down with the Escaliers du Marché stairs to Place de la Palud. The Escaliers du Marché is a covered flight of steps and was built in the 13th century. At the Place de la Palud we saw the 17th century Rathaus (Town Hall) and copy of the Fontaine de la Justice (Fountain of Justice). Laurent Perroud and his son Jacques sculpted the column and the statue in 1584-85. The originals are held in the Lausanne History Museum.
|Mom getting water from the Fountain of Justice|
We also went to the post office to buy stamps and send a post card. Then we walked down the steep hill to the station. Our train departed at 16:45 and we arrived in Bern at 17:50. The landscape changed a lot from the mountains to flat fields with crops growing in them. Bern station was very busy.
|Waiting for our train at Lausanne Station|