30 March 2013

Carnarvon: A Trio of Churches

It was still early (11:15) when we reached Loxton and we decided to add another town to our day trip.  Carnarvon was only 65 km from Loxton and after walking around in Loxton for 20 minutes we started the drive.  It took us about 40 minutes to reach Carnarvon.
The town was deserted on the Sunday afternoon.  Most of the shops etc were closed and there were only a few people in the streets.  The first church we saw was the Uniting Reformed Church built in 1857 and in 1879 it was enlarged and the clock tower was added.  It is a beautiful church and I liked the big rooster on top of the weather vane. 
Verenigende Gereformeerde Kerk / Dutch Reformed Mission Church / Carnarvon
The congregation was started in 1847 by the Rhenish Missionary Church (“Rynse Sending Kerk”).  The congregation was transferred to the Dutch Reformed Mission Church in 1943 and in 1994 it became part of the Uniting Reformed Church (“Verenigende Gereformeerde Kerk”).  The church is a National Heritage Site.
Verenigende Gereformeerde Kerk / Dutch Reformed Mission Church / Carnarvon
Verenigende Gereformeerde Kerk / Dutch Reformed Mission Church / Carnarvon 
The next church we visited was the St Alban’s Anglican Church.  The corner stone of this church was laid on 4 September 1915.  We love old stone churches but could not decide if we like this brown church with its square tower and small windows.  The church is a National Heritage Site.
Carnarvon, Northern Cape
Carnarvon, Northern Cape
Carnarvon, Northern Cape 
The last church of the day was the Dutch Reformed Church.  The congregation was started in 1875 and the first church was consecrated in 1882.  The current and more modern church was built in 1954 because the old church was in a falling apart.  The high tower of this church also had a pretty rooster on top.
Carnarvon, Northern Cape
Carnarvon, Northern Cape

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...