Bathurst : Church of St John, The Evangelist
Our next stop in Bathurst was the Church of St John The Evangelist. This church is the oldest unaltered Anglican Church in South Africa. During the Frontier wars it was also used as a sanctuary for hundreds of British Settlers.
The foundation stone was laid in 1832 and the church was opened on 1 January 1838 and it was declared a Nation Heritage site in 1967.
All around the church is old graves. We spend a lot of time walking around between theses gravestones. We even found graves for some original British Settlers who cam to South Africa in 1820.