The buildings are spread out through the town. To save time we drove to a few central spots. We then walked to see the buildings and then back in the car to another area. We also found that the town was busy Saturday morning, especially the area around the shopping mall. To take photos Saturday afternoons or Sundays are better.
Here are a few of the buildings we saw.
|BUKKENBURG - 8 HERMANUS STEYN STREET|
Bukkenburg was built in 1880’s as a “dorpshuis” or townhouse for the Streicher family. They lived far from town and used the house when they came to town. It was named Bukkenburg after the tpown in Germany the Streichers came from. It is a National Monument. This house is now the Pottery studio of David Schlapobersky and Felicity Potter.
A double storey house built in 1865 and now houses the offices of the Drosdy Museum.
The Goaler’s Cottage was built before 1790 and was used as home for the goaler. It is now the Tourism Information center for the town.
|KOMNADER: 7 VAN OUDTSHOORN ROAD|
|THE RESIDENCY: 12 VAN OUDTSHOORN ROAD|
Swellendam has a lot of historical buildings. In the next post we walk along the main street to see mroe of these buildings.