The PAG Regiment is one of the oldest volunteer regiments in South Africa. It started as the Port Elizabeth Volunteer Rifle Corps in 1856. The name changed in 1860 when they provided protection for Prince Alfred (Queen Victoria’s son) when he visited Port Elizabeth.
The Prince Alfred's Guard Memorial was opened on 6 November 1907 as a memorial to the fallen Prince Alfred’s Guards. The memorial is built on a water reservoir that was constructed between 1903 and 1907. The memorial and reservoir were restored in 2006-2006. It was declared a National Heritage Site on 10 June 1983.
On the top of the central pedestal is a life-size figure of a sergeant-major in full dress uniform. Below him are four lions holding shields.
On each of the four corners of the base of the memorial is a plague bearing the names of officers and men who fell in the Transkei War (1877); Basutoland War (1880-1881); Bechuanaland War (1897); and the Anglo Boer War (1899 – 1902).